Multimedia Journalism & Water
RNTC is the only training institute in the world to offer this 3-week course for broadcast, print and online journalists: it combines the knowledge and skills you need for multimedia production with in-depth knowledge about water, sanitation and hygiene. It’s a two-in-one: become a multimedia specialist and learn about one of the crucial
challenges facing developing societies worldwide.
The 2014 course is CLOSED for applications
The 2014 course is CLOSED for NFP scholarship applications
At the end of the course, you acquired:
- Extensive knowledge of water, sanitation, hygiene; the problems, policies and solutions
- An international network of journalists, trainers, contacts and experts in the field
- Practical tools for how to find and access relevant information, recognize potential pitfalls and find ideas for stories
- Examples of best practice in covering water issues and in multimedia journalism
- Knowledge of how to increase the impact of multimedia journalism and social media
- Increased proficiency in writing text, sourcing and making digital photos, recording and editing audio and video for online publication
- Skills in planning, pitching and carrying out multimedia journalism assignments about water issues and in publishing stories online
Who`s it for
The course is designed for working journalists with at least three years professional experience in broadcast, print or online media.
The course will give you the relevant background, up-to-date knowledge, a network of contacts and examples of best practices to be able to report accurately and effectively on relevant water issues. Leading international experts will give you exclusive insights into current concerns and developments in the field. In addition to theoretical sessions and practical assignments, there will be working visits to specialised institutions such as UNESCO-IHE and IRC International Water and Sanitation Centre.
The course will focus on multimedia production, social media and online publication. You will reinforce and develop your knowledge and skills in developing stories which combine text, photos, audio and video. Our methodology of ‘learning by doing’ guarantees that there will be many opportunities to try your ideas out in practice.
Throughout the course you will have the use of professional photo/audio/video recording and editing equipment and the use of a multimedia laptop with wireless access to broadband internet; you will be able to publish your multimedia stories on a purpose-built website.
Dates and deadlines
Course dates: 3 - 21 November 2014
RNTC application deadline: deadline expired
NFP scholarship applications: deadline expired
Applicants must meet the following admissions requirements:
- You are currently working as a broadcast, print or online journalist and have a minimum of three years experience in journalism
- You have successfully followed secondary education, and professional education or training in media
- You are used to working with computers, using the Internet and have good computer skills
- Your speaking and writing skills in English (the course language) are sufficient
- You must submit a letter of motivation in English (150-250 words) explaining why you want to follow the course
English language proficiency:
Since English is the working language of our courses, we need to be sure that your English is good enough. If you come from a country where English is the official/national language or if English was the language in which you took higher education, your spoken and written English will be good enough. In both these cases you don't need to give us any proof of proficiency.
In all other cases we will need a certified statement from a recognized authority establishing your proficiency in spoken and written English. The required level of your command of English should be equivalent to a TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based), and 6 for IELTS. In case of doubt we may conduct a telephone/Skype interview.
Fees, costs and fellowships
- 2014: EUR 2,599
The course fee includes pick-up from the airport, insurance, accomodation & meals, cost of local transport and travel assignments. Participants must cover their international travel costs. More information on costs can be found here.
RNTC course application:
NFP scholarship application:
After you have completed all the course sessions and assignments you will receive an RNTC Certificate and join the ranks of our more than 3.000 RNTC alumni worldwide.
For any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
NFP scholarship notifier
Cheers to you all and keep up the good work, RNTC.
(Rosemary Mroba Gaisie, Ghana)
I wish everyone would go through the training RNTC offered us, it is amazing how you could give us exactly what we needed to make our journalistic skills shine back in our country. I am now more confident and skilled than ever before.
(Adella Mbabazi, Uganda)
Share / Tell a Friend